- AgEdsS 412: Internship, Agricultural Communication
- AgEdS 311: Presentation & Sales Strategies for Agricultural Audiences
- AgEdS 211C: Early Field-Based Experience, Agricultural Communication
- AgEdS 110A: Orientation, Agricultural Communication
- AgEdS 568X (graduate) Qualitative Inquiry and Interviewing
- AgEdS 699 (PhD): Ecologies and Geographies of Local Food
I approach research the area of agricultural communication from an interdisciplinary perspective that combines environmental communication, critical rhetoric, cultural studies, and political economy. Using mixed methods, including qualitative interviews and field methods, and textual analysis, my work examines environmental and agricultural advocacy discourses, with particular focus on strategies and tactics of institutional and grassroots communicators, including, political representatives and legislators, media, advocacy groups, and activists. Specific areas of interest include food security, and environmental and food justice, and the ways by which these discourses structure farm/food policy, advocacy and “agvocacy” agendas, and also foment campaigns for social change. A secondary area of research interest is communication education and the scholarship of teaching and learning as each pertains to agricultural and environmental communication.
Research Agenda Areas
- Food Justice
- Food Security
- Agrifood Politics
Selected Peer Reviewed Publications
Dubisar, A., & Hunt, K. (in press). Teaching Ethos from the Dumpster: Dive and Food Waste Rhetorics. Communication Teacher.
Hunt, K., Paliewiscz, N., & Endres, D. (forthcoming). The Radical Potential of Public Hearings: Indecorous Voice in Public Participation Processes. In K. P. Hunt, S. P. Depoe, and G. Walker (Eds), Expanding the Boundaries of Communication and Public Participation in Environmental Decision Making.
Hunt, K., & Dubisar, A. (2016). Diving into food justice: Food waste in the Anthropocene. Teaching Media Quarterly, special issue on Teaching in/about the Anthropocene.
Hunt, K. (2016). From paper to plastic: Electronic Benefits Transfer as technology of neoliberalization. Communication and Critical/Cultural Studies, DOI: 10.1080/14791420.2016.1194521.
Hunt, K. (2016.) #LivingOffTips: Reframing food system labor through tipped worker’s narratives of subminimum wage exploitation. The Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development, special issue on Labor in the Food System. [PDF] foodsystemsjournal.org
Hunt, K., & Krakow, M. (2015). The best of both worlds: Exploring Cross-Collaborative Community Engagement. The Journal of Effective Teaching, 15, p. 87-98. http://www.uncw.edu/cte/et/articles/Vol15_2/Volume1502.pdf#page=92
Hunt, K. (2014). “It’s more than planting trees, it’s planting ideas”: Ecofeminist praxis in the Green Belt Movement. Southern Communication Journal, 79(3), 235-249. DOI: 10.1080/1041794X.2014.890245
Non-Peer Reviewed Publications
- Hunt, K. (2016) A nested approach to the right to food: Food security, gender violence, and human rights. A review of Gender, Nutrition, and the Human Right to Adequate Food: An Inclusive Framework. The Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development, 7, 141-143. [PDF] foodsystemsjournal.org
- Hunt, K. & Martin, R. A. (2016). Presentation & Sales Strategies for Agricultural Audiences: A Workbook. Self-published course packet.
Department of Agricultural Education & Studies
- Chair, Agricultural Communication Team (Fall 2016-Present)
- Member, Graduate Admissions Committee (Fall 2015-Present)
- Faculty Co-Advisor, Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow (ACT) student organization (Fall 2015-Summer 2017)
- Member, Curriculum Committee (Fall 2015-Spring 2016)
Graduate Program of Sustainable Agriculture
- Chair, Curriculum Committee (Fall 2016-Present)
- Member, Coordinating Committee (Fall 2016-Present)
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Member, CALS Curriculum Committee (Fall 2016-Present)
Iowa State University
- Science Communication Project (Fall 2015-Present)
- Member, Awards Committee, Environmental Communication Division, National Communication Association (NCA) (Present)
- Chair and Program Planner, Environmental Communication Interest Group, Western States Communication Association (WSCA) (2016-2017)
- Member, Agricultural Communication Competency Committee, Association for Communication Excellence (ACE) (Fall 2016-Spring 2017)